What to Wear in Dubai as a Tourist: A Comprehensive Guide
Dubai, known for its modern architecture, luxurious resorts, and vibrant culture, attracts millions of tourists from around the world every year. As a tourist, it is essential to be aware of and respect the local customs and traditions, including the appropriate attire. Dubai has embraced modernity, but it is still a part of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a country with conservative Islamic values. This article will guide you on what to wear in Dubai as a tourist, ensuring that you are comfortable while being respectful of the local culture.
Dubai is a city with a diverse population, and it is relatively tolerant of different clothing styles. However, it is advisable to dress modestly, especially when visiting public places or religious sites. Here are some key points to consider when choosing your attire:
1. Respect the local culture: While Dubai is increasingly cosmopolitan, it is important to remember that it is still a city in an Islamic country. Dressing modestly shows respect for the local culture and helps avoid any unnecessary attention.
2. Loose-fitting clothing: Opt for loose-fitting clothing that covers your shoulders and knees. This applies to both men and women. Light, breathable fabrics like cotton or linen are ideal for the hot climate.
3. Avoid transparent or tight clothing: Transparent or tight clothing may be considered inappropriate or offensive in Dubai. It is best to avoid such attire, particularly in public places.
4. Swimwear: Swimwear is acceptable at private beaches, resorts, and swimming pools. However, it is important to cover up when leaving those areas and heading into public spaces.
5. Traditional clothing: Embrace the local culture by wearing traditional Emirati attire, such as an abaya (a loose-fitting black gown) for women or a kandura (a long white robe) for men. This is not mandatory, but it can be a unique way to experience the local customs.
6. Headscarves for women: It is not necessary for women to wear a headscarf, but it is respectful to cover your head and hair when visiting mosques or other religious sites.
7. Footwear: Comfortable shoes are a must when exploring Dubai, as you may be doing a lot of walking. Sandals or open-toed shoes are perfectly acceptable, but remember to remove them when entering someone’s home or a mosque.
8. Dress code in malls and restaurants: Dubai’s malls and restaurants generally have a relaxed dress code. However, it is still advisable to dress smart-casual to avoid any inconvenience or discomfort.
Now, let’s address some common questions tourists often have about what to wear in Dubai:
Q1. Can I wear shorts in Dubai?
A1. Yes, you can wear shorts in Dubai. However, it is recommended to keep them knee-length or longer, especially in public places.
Q2. Can men wear tank tops in Dubai?
A2. Yes, men can wear tank tops in Dubai, but it is best to avoid overly revealing or tight-fitting tank tops.
Q3. Can women wear sleeveless tops in Dubai?
A3. While it is acceptable for women to wear sleeveless tops, it is advisable to carry a light jacket or scarf to cover your shoulders when needed.
Q4. Can I wear flip-flops in Dubai?
A4. Yes, flip-flops are perfectly fine to wear in Dubai, especially in beach areas or casual settings. However, it is advisable to wear more formal footwear when visiting upscale establishments.
Q5. Can I wear a bikini on public beaches in Dubai?
A5. Yes, you can wear a bikini on public beaches, as long as you are within designated areas. However, it is important to cover up when leaving the beach area.
Q6. Can I wear Western-style clothing in Dubai?
A6. Yes, Western-style clothing is widely accepted in Dubai. Just remember to dress modestly and avoid anything too revealing or offensive.
Q7. Can men wear shorts in mosques?
A7. No, men are required to wear long pants when entering mosques. It is also customary for men to cover their heads with a cap or hat.
Q8. Can women wear trousers in Dubai?
A8. Absolutely! Women can wear trousers in Dubai. Just ensure they are loose-fitting and modest.
Q9. Can I wear sunglasses in Dubai?
A9. Yes, sunglasses are essential in Dubai’s sunny climate. They are widely accepted and recommended.
Q10. Can I wear nail polish in Dubai?
A10. Yes, you can wear nail polish in Dubai. However, it is advisable to choose more neutral or subdued colors rather than anything too flashy.
Q11. Can I wear makeup in Dubai?
A11. Yes, you can wear makeup in Dubai. However, it is recommended to keep it natural and not overly dramatic.
Q12. Can men wear shorts in restaurants?
A12. While some casual restaurants may allow men to wear shorts, it is advisable to wear smart-casual attire to avoid any inconvenience.
Q13. Can women wear skirts in Dubai?
A13. Yes, women can wear skirts in Dubai. However, it is advisable to choose knee-length or longer skirts to maintain modesty.
In conclusion, when visiting Dubai as a tourist, it is important to dress modestly and respect the local customs and traditions. While Dubai is relatively tolerant of different clothing styles, it is always better to err on the side of caution and dress appropriately. By following these guidelines, you can experience the vibrant city of Dubai comfortably while showing respect for the local culture.