What to Do at Port Canaveral Cruise Stop
Port Canaveral, located on the east coast of Florida, is one of the busiest cruise ports in the world. With its convenient access to popular tourist destinations like Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center, it is a popular stop for many cruise lines. If you find yourself with a cruise stop at Port Canaveral, here are some activities and attractions you can enjoy during your visit.
1. Visit the Kennedy Space Center: One of the most popular attractions in the area, the Kennedy Space Center offers a fascinating glimpse into the history and future of space exploration. Explore interactive exhibits, see real rockets, and even meet astronauts.
2. Enjoy the Beaches: Port Canaveral is surrounded by beautiful beaches. Whether you prefer a relaxing day in the sun or an active day of water sports, there are numerous beaches to choose from, such as Cocoa Beach and Jetty Park Beach.
3. Take a Fishing Charter: Port Canaveral is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Charter a boat and head out to sea for a day of fishing for a variety of species, including redfish, snapper, and grouper.
4. Explore the Brevard Zoo: Located just a short drive from Port Canaveral, the Brevard Zoo is a great place to spend a day with your family. Get up close to exotic animals, take a kayak tour, or try the Treetop Trek zipline course.
5. Go on a Wildlife Tour: Experience the unique ecosystem of the Indian River Lagoon by taking a wildlife tour. You can spot dolphins, manatees, and a variety of bird species while cruising through the mangrove-lined waterways.
6. Visit Cocoa Village: Just a few miles from Port Canaveral, Cocoa Village is a charming historic district with quaint shops, art galleries, and restaurants. Take a stroll along the scenic streets and enjoy the local atmosphere.
7. Play Golf: If you’re a golf enthusiast, there are several golf courses near Port Canaveral where you can tee off and enjoy the beautiful Florida weather.
8. Go on a Casino Cruise: Test your luck on a casino cruise ship that sails from Port Canaveral. Enjoy a night of gambling, live entertainment, and delicious food while cruising the Atlantic Ocean.
9. Explore Exploration Tower: Located on the waterfront in Port Canaveral, Exploration Tower offers panoramic views of the area. Learn about the history and future of the port through interactive exhibits and observation decks.
10. Visit the Historic Cocoa Beach Pier: Built in 1962, the Cocoa Beach Pier is a nostalgic landmark that offers restaurants, shops, and stunning views of the ocean. Take a leisurely walk along the pier or enjoy a meal overlooking the water.
11. Take a Kayaking Tour: Explore the natural beauty of the Thousand Islands in Cocoa Beach by taking a guided kayaking tour. Paddle through the mangrove forests and spot wildlife in their natural habitat.
12. Go on a Jet Ski Adventure: For an adrenaline rush, rent a jet ski and explore the waters around Port Canaveral. Feel the thrill of speeding across the waves and enjoy the scenic views of the coastline.
13. Relax and Unwind: If you’re looking for a more laid-back experience, simply relax and unwind at one of the many waterfront restaurants or bars in Port Canaveral. Enjoy fresh seafood, sip on a tropical cocktail, and soak in the beautiful views.
Common Questions and Answers
1. How far is Port Canaveral from Orlando?
Port Canaveral is approximately 50 miles east of Orlando, which is about a one-hour drive.
2. Can I visit the Kennedy Space Center on my own?
Yes, you can visit the Kennedy Space Center independently. However, if you’re on a tight schedule, it is recommended to book a shore excursion through your cruise line to ensure a timely return to the ship.
3. Are there any beaches within walking distance of Port Canaveral?
While there are no beaches within walking distance of the port, there are several beaches just a short drive away.
4. Can I bring my own fishing equipment for a fishing charter?
Most fishing charters provide all the necessary equipment, including rods, reels, and bait. However, if you prefer to bring your own gear, it is best to check with the charter company beforehand.
5. Are there any age restrictions for the casino cruises?
Most casino cruises require passengers to be at least 18 years old to gamble and 21 years old to consume alcohol.
6. How much does it cost to enter the Brevard Zoo?
The admission prices for the Brevard Zoo vary depending on age. It is best to check the official website for up-to-date pricing information.
7. Can I rent kayaks or jet skis in Port Canaveral?
Yes, there are several rental companies in Port Canaveral that offer kayaks and jet skis for rent. Prices may vary, so it is recommended to compare options before making a reservation.
8. Is there public transportation available from Port Canaveral to Orlando?
While there is no direct public transportation from Port Canaveral to Orlando, there are shuttle services available for a fee. It is best to check with your cruise line or a local transportation company for options.
9. Are there any kid-friendly activities in Port Canaveral?
Yes, there are plenty of kid-friendly activities in Port Canaveral, including the Brevard Zoo, wildlife tours, and beach activities.
10. Can I bring my own food and drinks to the beach?
Yes, you can bring your own food and drinks to the beaches in Port Canaveral. However, glass containers are usually not allowed for safety reasons.
11. Are there any shopping opportunities near Port Canaveral?
Yes, there are several shopping centers and outlet malls in the area where you can find a variety of retail stores and souvenir shops.
12. Can I visit both the Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach in one day?
It is possible to visit both the Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach in one day, but it may be a tight schedule. It is recommended to plan accordingly and prioritize the attractions based on your interests.
13. Is it safe to swim in the ocean at Port Canaveral?
Swimming in the ocean at Port Canaveral is generally safe, but it is important to pay attention to local beach advisories and follow any posted safety guidelines.