What Cruise Can You Drink at 18?
Planning a cruise vacation can be an exciting experience, especially if you’re a young adult looking forward to enjoying some downtime and relaxation. However, one common concern among those under the legal drinking age is whether they can enjoy alcoholic beverages onboard. While each cruise line sets its own policies, there are options available for those who are 18 years old and above. In this article, we’ll explore what cruise you can drink at 18 and provide answers to some common questions on the topic.
Cruise Lines with a Drinking Age of 18:
Several cruise lines allow guests who are 18 years old and above to consume alcohol onboard. Some of these cruise lines include:
1. Norwegian Cruise Line: NCL permits 18-year-olds and above to drink beer and wine, but they must be purchased and consumed in designated areas. The purchase of alcoholic beverages for those under 21 years old is subject to parental consent forms.
2. Princess Cruises: Princess Cruises allows 18-year-olds and above to consume alcohol onboard, but they must be purchased and consumed in designated areas.
3. Costa Cruises: Costa Cruises permits 18-year-olds and above to consume alcohol onboard, as long as they follow the laws of the ship’s flag country.
4. Carnival Cruise Line: Carnival allows 18-year-olds and above to drink alcohol, including beer and wine. However, they must be purchased and consumed in designated areas.
5. Royal Caribbean International: Royal Caribbean allows 18-year-olds and above to consume alcohol onboard, but they must be purchased and consumed in designated areas.
Common Questions and Answers:
1. Can I drink alcohol if I’m under 18 but accompanied by a parent or guardian?
Most cruise lines have a minimum drinking age policy of 18, regardless of parental accompaniment. However, it’s essential to check with the specific cruise line you plan to sail with, as policies may vary.
2. Can I purchase alcohol and take it to my cabin?
Typically, cruise lines do not allow guests to bring alcohol onboard. However, they may permit a limited amount of wine or champagne.
3. Can I use my parent’s or guardian’s drink package if I’m under 18?
Drink packages on cruise ships are usually non-transferable, meaning you cannot use someone else’s package, even if they are your parent or guardian.
4. Can I drink alcohol on a cruise if I’m 18 but traveling with someone who is under 18?
Each individual’s age is considered independently when it comes to alcohol consumption. If you are 18 or older, you can drink alcohol regardless of whether you are traveling with someone under 18.
5. Can I drink alcohol on a cruise if I’m 18 but traveling outside of the United States?
Cruise lines typically follow their own policies regardless of the ship’s location. Therefore, if the cruise line allows 18-year-olds to consume alcohol, it applies to all sailings, regardless of the destination.
6. Can I bring my own alcohol to the ship for my 18th birthday celebration?
Most cruise lines do not permit guests to bring their own alcohol onboard. However, some cruise lines may allow a limited amount of wine or champagne for special occasions. It’s essential to check with the cruise line beforehand.
7. Can I purchase alcohol for someone who is underage if I’m 18 or older?
No, purchasing alcohol for someone who is underage is against the law and violates the cruise line’s policies. It can result in serious consequences for both parties involved.
8. Can I drink alcohol on a private island owned by the cruise line?
Private islands owned by cruise lines typically follow the same drinking age policies as the ship. Therefore, if the cruise line allows 18-year-olds to consume alcohol onboard, the same rules will apply on the private island.
9. Can I drink alcohol on a cruise if I’m 18 and sailing with my spouse who is over 21?
Most cruise lines have their minimum drinking age policies, which are not influenced by the age of your spouse or companion. Therefore, if the drinking age is 18, you can consume alcohol regardless of your spouse’s age.
10. Can I drink alcohol on a cruise if I’m 18 and sailing with a group of friends who are all over 21?
Again, the minimum drinking age applies individually to each guest, regardless of the ages of others in the group. If you are 18 or older, you can consume alcohol, but your friends under 18 cannot.
11. Can I drink alcohol on a cruise if I’m 18, but the legal drinking age is higher in my home country?
The cruise line’s policy will prevail regardless of the legal drinking age in your home country. If the cruise line allows 18-year-olds to consume alcohol, you can do so onboard.
12. Can I participate in alcohol-related activities if I’m under 18 on a cruise where the drinking age is 18?
Most cruise lines have age restrictions for alcohol-related activities such as tastings or mixology classes. These activities typically require participants to be at least 21 years old.
13. Do I need to carry identification to prove my age while purchasing alcohol onboard?
It is a good idea to carry identification with you to prove your age when purchasing alcohol onboard, as cruise lines and their staff may require it.
In conclusion, if you are 18 years old and above, you have several cruise line options that allow you to consume alcohol onboard. However, it’s important to review the specific policies of each cruise line before your trip to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience. Remember to always drink responsibly and adhere to the rules and regulations of the cruise line to avoid any issues during your vacation.