Pizzeria Da Baffetto, Rome

by Ines_
    by Ines_
    by ptippen
  • ptippen's Profile Photo

Pizzaria da baffetto: Amazing pizza!

by ptippen Written Jul 25, 2012

This is a no nonsense pizza place. The pizza is so thin and crisp and the toppings so fresh there is none that compare. If you want to eat here get ready to wait. There is usually a line at the front door before it opens each and every night. It was just around the corner from our apartment so we got there at 6:30 right when it opened and usually got a table pretty fast. The outdoor tables are gone before the doors open. We asked and were able to purchase one of the custom wine pitchers they use. About 10 euros each

Favorite Dish: Any pizza, they are ALL great

• Ines_'s Profile Photo

Baffeto 2: Pizza at its best

by Ines_ Updated Mar 18, 2012

Baffeto is a pizzeria localized in the heart of the city. They have the traditional Italian dishes: pastas and pizzas and the meats. The best about this restaurant is the quality/price relation: great food for decent price.

There are two of them. I went to Baffeto 2 because I couldn’t get a seat on the first one. If you plan on going "late" (after 19:30) you probably want to reserve.

Everything you might need is on the site below.

• ant0nius's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Baffetto: Here's the real roman pizza

by ant0nius Written Aug 15, 2007

At Baffetto's ( Via del Governo Vecchio , few minutes from Navona ) you can taste the real roman pizza ( that is differente from the one you can eat in Neaples for example ) at a very reasonable price. Always crowded by romans and tourist, to avoiding queue you'll have to stay there at 8 pm at the lastest. If it's you're first time then try Pizza Margherita and a bottle of Nastro Azzurro Beer.

Favorite Dish: Margherita and Nastro Azzurro beer...

• jhoolko's Profile Photo

The best pizza I have ever had.: Pizzeria Da Baffetto

by jhoolko Updated Apr 23, 2007

When the friend I was staying with told me we were going to have pizza yet again for dinner, I was disappointed at least. When she told me we were likely going to have to wait in line, I was borderline angry. What about all the nice looking pasta places? I wondered. But after a good 15-20 minute wait in line at Pizzeria da Baffetto and another 15 minutes spent milking a gigantic Nastro Azzurro beer, I realized why she had submitted me to my fleeting half hour of agonizing hunger. This was by far the best pizza I have ever had. Forget Domino's, forget store bought pizzas, forget California Pizza Kitchen, or that specialty, dirty looking place that has the most "authentic" pizza in town back home. My parents are pizza purists, and growing up I was never allowed to have any kind of chain pizza, or anything that departed too far from the classic New York-style thin crust. When we go back east to see the family, we stop for pizza at Mario's BEFORE we get to the grandparents. So I've seen my fair share of pizza. This crust was so thin, so deliciously soaked with cheese and tomato sauce and toppings, that by the time I had finished my first WHOLE pizza, I was ready for more. And that's WITH the giant beer and the promise of gelato ahead. So even if you think you've had enough pizza, even if you've already eaten dinner, stop by Baffetto for something like you've never tasted. But be sure to get there when it opens, which I believe is at 6:30 (double check that though!), or you'll find yourself waiting outside the closed door in a growing line. And be ready and willing to split a table with another party if there's only two or three of you, likely a group of fellow travelers. But it really just adds to the experience.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember what they called it, but it was pizza with onion, sausage, and mushroom, and maybe some other things.

• Study Abroad

• OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

Baffetto's: Worth the Wait

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Apr 8, 2007

Baffetto's is written up in many a Guide Book -- which is usually the kiss of death to me. However, the pizza and atmosphere more than live up to the reputation. I have been going here for years and it is one of two of my must stop restaurants in Rome -- I won't be devulging the other, because it is still unknown to tourists.

Baffetto's is small, so if you enter as a couple, you may be seated at a table that another couple or family is sitting at. This unique dining experience is just one reason to love Baffetto's -- the pizza is the other. The pizza is amazing and remains dirt cheap.

Favorite Dish: A plain margarita pizza will serve you just fine -- taste the freshness of the ingredients and don't be overpowered by loads of toppings. A carafe of the house wine will be refilled a few times as you dine with your newest best friends swapping stories of bella Roma.

• stom23's Profile Photo

Baffetto: the best pizzeria in Roma

by stom23 Updated Nov 2, 2006

If you go to Roma and wanna eat a proper Roman pizza, you can't miss "Baffetto" near Piazza Navona: the best pizzeria in this city. Well... you'll have to queue for 1hour or 2 but it's worth it at the end!
    The service is "alla romana" and you'll feel in a typically italian village there. If you're really hungry and don't wanna queue for so long... just go to Baffetto2, 10mn walking from the other one, at Campo de' Fiori (a charming square with a daily market) and enjoy your pizza or suppli on the big terrace... che bello!

my last roman pizza!!!

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Da Baffetto

by tini58de Updated Aug 18, 2006

This place in the center of Rome has - as Gianluca aka janchan told us - the best pizza in all Rome.

Expect to stand outside and wait for awhile, before the door opens and the proprietor calls out, how many people may enter!!! But this alone is a great experience! We queued up and started talking to another couple - and when the proprietor called out: "table for 4" - all four of us yelled: "si, si, si!!!"

This historic Roman pizzeria has a very rustic interior! For over 40 years it has been well known by word because of its cozy atmosphere, its 'family feel' and for its wide variety of pizzas. They also have on the menue mouth-watering bruschette, various salads, mushrooms, beans, and super home-made desserts.

delicious pizza

• bbaran73's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Da Baffetto: Best Pick

by bbaran73 Written Jul 24, 2006

The best buy for your Euro, and the pizza could feed a family. Pizzeria da Baffetto is a Roman favorite. You will have to wait in line if you arrive late, but the atmosphere, pizza, and wine are worth it. Baffetto's only bad point is that the owners close two weeks in August for holiday.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Pizzeria da Baffetto: Good cheap, no frills Pizza

by vichatherly Written Jul 13, 2005

The place is supposedly a Rome icon, with people waiting in line to be seated at simple wooden benches.

I'm not sure if the waiters are trained to be rude or it's just that they are recruited that way, anyhow, I suppose if your party consists of cute giggling American girls then I think you might get better service, but then maybe it all adds to the colour and romance of the place

Nothing much to be said about the view from the outside "Terrace" as it was a very scruffy back wall covered in very old bill posters from the general election campaign.

Favorite Dish: Pizza was excellent!

Huge queues after 9 pm

Trees of Rome

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Da Baffetto: The best Pizza in Rome ??

by sue_stone Written Nov 7, 2004

I had read all about Pizzeria Da Baffetto having the best pizza in Rome, so of course we had to go there to see if it was true!

Pizzeria Da Baffetto has been around for more than 40 years. It appears that any Italian celebrity that goes to Rome has dinner there and is photographed with the owner - the walls are covered in photos of famous people that have dined there.

We went early to avoid the queues, and only had a short wait before being seated.

Our experience was not that great though.....they got my order wrong, and presented me with an onion pizza - and since I can't eat onion I was horrified and asked them to bring me what I had ordered (obviously they mis-understood my original order due to my dodgy Italian!!).

Anyway, they whisked my replacement pizza out in record time, but it wasn't cooked properly and was swimming in cheese and oil....

So, it turned out to be one of the worst pizza's I have eaten : ((

But hopefully my experience was just a one off......would be interested to hear how others enjoyed their visit to Pizzeria Da Baffetto.

people queuing outside Baffetto

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Best Pizza in Rome?: Pizzeria Baffetto

by cpiers47 Written Nov 26, 2003

This tiny restaraunt is declared the best pizza in Rome by all the guidebooks and Gormet magazine. If the lines outside are to be trusted, it is the best, or at least the best publicized. We decided we had to try and we thrilled that it would be a cheap dinner. The pizza was excellent and the brushetta just enough to knock off the edge of hunger after a long day of exploring.

The place is TINY and so to have five people at a table was crammed. The staff was rushed and the table fee higher than usual. Still, it was a fun experience and worth a little wait.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Margherita

• anne_h's Profile Photo

Baffetto: the best pizza in Rome

by anne_h Written Apr 7, 2003

Pizzeria Baffetto is a Roman institution. It's a narrow room on one of the most charming streets in Rome, Via del Governo Vecchio, not far from Piazza Navona. It's a very Roman experience in that it's always crowded and you'll have to stay on top of things to make sure you get a table in the proper order. Try the pizza capricciosa, my favorite. Good antipasti too.

• GroovyDoc's Profile Photo

Pizzeria di Baffetto: Best Pizza in Town

by GroovyDoc Written Jan 18, 2003

Multiple books ranked this restaurant as the best place in all of Rome for thin crust pizza. In addition to the great food, I found the owner, Signore Baffetto to be very kind and friendly. Customers are seated "family-style" so that usually you are sitting with strangers. I sat with two girls from Brazil who were quite fun. It opens for dinner at 6:30 pm.

Favorite Dish: The pizza, of course. Get the Baffetto...it's the house special.

Signore Baffetto