Antico Caffè Greco, Rome

Caffe Greco
  • traveloturc's Profile Photo

Antico Cafe Greco: Museum Cafe

by traveloturc Updated Nov 9, 2014

I was schocked to see such a beautiful Cafe founded in 1760 by Nicola della Madalena ( greek)
    Antico Cafe Greco was an oasis for Italian and universal artists. Amongst some of its famous customers were Stendhal,Liszt, Gounod, Heine, Wagner, Marc Twain, Gogol, and D'Annunzio. In the rear parlor there is a piano.They said that Rossini use to play with ...Anyway please visit this beautiful cafe and you can enjoy any cafe that you like you can even try the tortas...

the entrance inside statues inside

• MikeF73's Profile Photo

Antico Greco: Straight Italian coffee with an amaro

by MikeF73 Written Dec 26, 2012

Superb and remains true to its literary roots - http://thecoffeelocator.com/trending/review/around-italy-in-7-historic-coffee-bars. Unlike the Florian and other historic caffe's, the greco still attracts writers and poets today, and prices are reasonable.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Antico Caffè Greco: Famous Caffè

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 1, 2012

The Antico Caffè Greco (sometimes simply referred to as Caffè Greco) is a historic landmark café which opened in 1760 on 86, Via dei Condotti. It is perhaps the best known and oldest bar in Rome and within Italy.
    Historic figures including Stendhal, Goethe, Bertel Thorvaldsen, Mariano Fortuny, Byron, Franz Liszt, Keats, Henrik Ibsen, Hans Christian Andersen, Felix Mendelssohn, David Reynolds and María Zambrano have had coffee there. Today it remains a haven for writers, politicians, artists and notable people in Rome.
    It was a pleasure to join such a company and drink a cup of coffee in this famous Café.

Antico Caff�� Greco

• alza's Profile Photo

Antico Caffè Greco: Famous place I'll avoid next time

by alza Updated Oct 5, 2010

A famous café in Rome, opened in 1767 by a Greek. It's on via dei Condotti where I was just looking at shop-windows while vaguely trying to head back towards Piazza Barberini... I walked by it at the end of a long day, going towards the Trevi Fountain, and thought "why not?"

Inside is unique enough, reminded me of Austro-Hungarian cafés in a Roman setting, a place for the beautiful people. You can have a café at the bar, eat a nice pastry there too. But I went in to rest so I sat at a table. There were more waiters running around shouting clients's orders than customers practically. They really all were stepping over each other. Confusion reigns!

I had a barley coffee (4,50 Euros) and a nice orange cake (13 Euros) while writing down where I'd been and what photos I'd taken all day in my notebook. Before leaving the hostel that morning, I'd pulled out three pages of maps from my guidebook and I was using those maps to retrace my steps. I left them on my table to use the washrooms (1 Euro) and when I got back, my table had been cleared. I asked the waitress for my maps, she asked another waiter who asked another waiter... No one had seen any map. They told me there were NO maps on my table.

While I was eating my cake, I noticed 3 women having tea, with luxury shoppiing bags at their feet. They left and forgot a bag. They weren't even out the door yet, I immediately told the waitress, who went through the rigmarole again, telliing every other waiter about this. One waiter grabbed the bag and walked to the door, didn't look outside, just came back in and placed the bag in a hidden closet at the back, saying "They'll probably be back..."

I still had my guidebook to Rome for the 2 days I had left there but no maps for it and I missed that. So I gave my guidebook to a gal at the hostel before leaving Rome and now it's a job writing a Rome page without any references!

I didn't like the atmosphere at Caffè Greco at all... and it's quite expensive.

This photo on the wall caught my eye Souvenir envelope for the bill

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Antico Caffe Greco: DO NOT MISS! Coffee in total grandeur

by ATLC Updated Sep 19, 2010

Caffe Greco (in the most expensive fashion street in Rome, near Spanish steps) has the fin-de-siecle atmosphere, bohemian, artistic and high society all in one.
    Expect to pay a lot for your coffee but remember that it is also an experience!
    I had the most delightful thick hot chocolate. The waiters were all very formally dressed and there was an artist in a corner, drawing. Many old photos and paintings on the wall. You can wander around, take photos, nobody minds.

Favorite Dish: I had the hot chocolate which was thick, lusciously creamy and whatever other Nigella-like adverbial comments.

Coffee at Caffe Greco Caffe Greco The menu at Caffe Greco Caffe Greco Caffe Greco

• icunme's Profile Photo

Antico Cafe Greco: Cafe Greco

by icunme Updated Sep 16, 2006

One of the three most ancient coffee houses in the world - first is in Iraq (if, indeed, it has survived the onslaught). Antico Cafe Greco was a famous stop for Italian and foreign artists. Founded in 1760 by Nicola della Maddalena, a Greek, the cafe achieved fame later when it began to serve a better coffee, served in small cups. Amongst some of its famous clientele were Liszt, Gounod, Stendhal, Heine, Wagner, Twain, Gogol, and D'Annunzio. The rear parlor has a piano - is usually closed to the public - but do ask if you can just view the room. With the minimum imagination you can envision Rossini writing his opera there - Goethe making poetry notes.........

Favorite Dish: I love their cioccolato caldo served with the whipped cream on the side - the real deal - great pastries as well here.

A delightful corner table in 1st room - Cafe Greco Rear setee in the salon Piano and Library in Rear salon View of rear salon Cafe Greco China

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Caffe Greco: Poshest Coffe Joint in Italy

by BorneoGrrl Updated Dec 16, 2005

Walking along the high street in Rome, near the Spanish Steps, Caffe Greco has been a popular coffee place since 1760. Stendhal, Goethe, Keats, and D'Annunzio have sipped coffee here, so did I. It's a pricey coffee joint but if you still want to try but don't want to fork out 6 Euro for a cup, have coffee at the bar and it will set you just under 2 Euro

Favorite Dish: Coffee and tiramisu, of course

Handsome waiters serving as Pan looks out
    • Business Travel
    • Singles

• amandahep's Profile Photo

El Greco: El Greco cafe/restaurant

by amandahep Written May 2, 2005

Located in Via Condotti. We wanted a quick coffee stop at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Stopped at Babingtons and fainted at the prices.
    If you still want a treat then the El Greco prices are more reasonable. Lots of history in this Cafe too.

Favorite Dish: Only stopped for coffee/ strawberry tart. Friend had an ice cream soda that was supposed to be heavenly.

• Intrepidduck's Profile Photo

Caffe Greco: Cafe Culture in Rome Pt 1

by Intrepidduck Written Feb 8, 2005

This is Rome's oldest coffee house (c1760) and rates up there with the great coffee houses of Europe. It is not a grand cafe, but rather a cosy space filled with art treasures in a salon environment.

Favorite Dish: To sit down you will pay for the privilage, however for budget minded people who still want to experience this old cafe and enjoy quality coffee - standing at the front bar is the answer.

Coffee cup at the Caffe Greco
    • Museum Visits

• ayesh's Profile Photo

El Greco: El Greco

by ayesh Written Feb 8, 2003

If you have plenty of money to spend or just want to do something with the focus on nostalgic atmospheres, you can pay a visit to this special coffeehouse. Take the 'pay a visit' literally as well...
    El Greco was opened in 1760 and has been a favourite meeting place for people such as Liszt, Wagner, Keats, Byron, Goethe and Casanova. It is very cozy and the pictures and paintings on the wall give you some insight on the history.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Antico Caffe Greco: Antico Caffe Greco

by acemj Written Sep 12, 2002

This is Rome's most famous coffee shop where the likes of Byron, Keats, Shelley and even Casanova used to frequent. You can even order their coffee on the internet.

Favorite Dish: An expensive place for a capuccino, but it's worth it for the history.

Instant Answers: Rome