Moulin Rouge, Paris

• Moulin Rouge
    by Arial_27
    Anvers metro/parking
    by gwened

Know about this? Rate It!

• gwened's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: the historical Parisien cabaret Rouge

by gwened Updated Sep 26, 2015

The quinssentanial Parisian cabaret, famous all over, too famous I must add. I was here many years ago and then stop. But for the sake of info I am posting my old photos here. This is mostly an adult place but not sexual just sensual.

The history is long going back to 1889 when big spectacles where held here. Operattas begain by 1903 and Mistinguett began by 1907. In 1929 Mistinguett quits and the place becomes of the biggest cinema houses around with 1500 seats. 1950 a new generation with concerts by famous French performers such as Charles Aznavour, Charles Trenet etc. 1979 Ginger Rogers comes to town. 1989 it comes strong into magical theater performances such as "Formidable"; nOW it has already each october now 124 years of activity in Paris!!!

Unfortunately over the years the area at night has become a bit seedy at least by Paris standards, vandalism rising 26% from last year alone. When I did come or go up to Sacre Cœur I park by Anvers metro stop that has an underground parking next to it, and safer.

you can have dinner included and there is a shop for souvenirs Inside. The décorations are outstanding, and brings out the performers who have passed by it. A Paris alternative if going for the old Paris. The Toulouse-Lautrec and Belle Epoque are the tops at 190 and 220€ respectively as prices keeps going up, check the site for updates. There are reviews with half a bottle of champagne for 87€ and without drinks at 77€.

They have shops souvenirs stores open from 19h every day at 11 rue Lepic see
    www.moulinrougestore.com

Dress Code: very nice dress but seen jeans, just no tie needed , no sneakers.

Moulin Rouge Sexodrome by Pigalle just by Pigalle Anvers metro/parking

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The one and only

by Arial_27 Written Feb 21, 2015

I saw a show in Feb. 2015 at the Moulin Rouge. We paid about $170 USD per person, which included the 2-hour show, and half a bottle of champagne. I would say it great value for what we got - an amazing performance, great atmosphere in a one of a kind venue which is world famous. The acrobatic acts were amazing, and I also enjoyed the songs and the cabaret.

My only complaint is that the show is a little bit sexist in the sense that it is targeting a 'male gaze.' All the female performers are wearing thong-type bottoms which fully expose their buttocks, and most of them are completely topless as well. The men however, remained fully clothed for the entire show. Just seems a little unfair to me - having said that, the show doesn't come off as erotic or sexual in any way. It really felt like performers dancing, and their body parts just happen to be showing. I was still very impressed by the talent and choreography that went into the show.

I recommend booking your tickets as much as possible in advance. I went on a Monday night, and they filled up. There are lots of places in the area to grab dinner or food before the show. You can also reserve dinner with your ticket purchase, but it can cost an extra $100. Be prepared to spend even more if you're going on a holiday (ie: Valentine's Day)

Dress Code: Dress up a bit for this event, business casual or even casually but dressed up with earrings or decent shows. On the e-ticket, it says that those dressed inappropriately will not be allowed to enter.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The old icon

by solopes Updated Feb 2, 2015

No, we didn't enter!

However, more than a club with expensive drinks and naked women in elaborated shows, this is a city's icon, almost as Eiffel tower, impossible to pass by without a comment or a picture.

Paris - France
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 24, 2013

The Moulin Rouge is known the world over for their famous "Can-Can" girls, this place is a must if you want to just feel a bit of old Paris.

I visited Moulin Rouge on my first visit to Paris, and although quite expensive, the show was pretty good.

After visiting Paris as many times as I have, I would say, skip this place. There are plenty of other places you can spend your money on.

Famous Windmill Moulin Rouge
    • Wine Tasting

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Ooh la la

by alyf1961 Written Apr 9, 2012

The Moulin Rouge was built in 1885 and it was turned into a dance hall in 1900. The name translated means red windmill.
    Famous for dancing girls and the Can Can, There are still shows daily today lunch is at 1pm and dinner at 7pm with the show starting 2 hours later..

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: OOH LA LA

by alyf1961 Written Apr 9, 2012

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Le Moulin Rouge: The famous Red Windmill

by pieter_jan_v Updated Nov 6, 2011

The Moulin Rouge is the best known night club-theater of Paris. It opended in1889 at the so-called Belle Epoque. 20 years later it was here where the Cancan got its fame. Later the building became a Music Hall and nowadays it's the center for revues.

Entrance fees are from 90€ to 200€

Le Moulin Rouge - Paris Le Moulin Rouge - Paris Le Moulin Rouge - Paris Le Moulin Rouge - Paris
    • Luxury Travel

• viddra's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: A temple of music and dance

by viddra Updated Apr 4, 2011

When the music hall was opened in 1889, its owners, Oller and Zidler, claimed that it would become a temple of music and dance... A lot of people would agree, because this home of the can-can dance still offers a spectacular musical dance entertainment. However, the others would say that the tickets are overpriced... Perhaps one day I'll see it for myself.

Dress Code: Neat, no jeans or trainers

the cabaret

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: A Night at the Cabaret

by Susumarie Updated Apr 4, 2011

I realize there are many cabarets to choose from, but when you may only be in Paris once, how can you miss the most famous? This was a dream of my daughter's, so I went for it, and was certainly glad, as it was a terrific show. First of all, my daughter's wallet had been stolen that day, so she was down in the dumps, and this really did the trick. They do grab your camera from you, so don't have it out when you go in. We were seated at a table with two young men who had obviously been to the show before, and they may have been more entertaining than the show. Each act, all the way to the can can was wonderful, though, and I would do it again.
    I did get my tickets on-line, which came with 1/2 bottle of champagne each; I noticed the men at our table had to pay for their champagne, so I think we got a pretty good deal, and it makes a difference which site you go through. We went to the late show, which was also cheaper. This was the site I found to be the cheapest at the time:

Dress Code: Elegant attire is recommended for all shows.

Entrance to Moulin Rouge Entrance to Moulin Rouge
    • Luxury Travel
    • Singles

• travelswithsteve's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The Show Not The Film

by travelswithsteve Updated Apr 4, 2011

Two shows a night, and remember to book. The earlier show kicks off about 8 the later one 11.
    A brilliant live show, with a bit of audience participation thrown in.

Dress Code: Smart / Casual thru to dinner jackets.

The One And Only

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Still not sure a tourist trap or nightlife tip

by Carmela71 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Well, when I was doing some research, all the vt´s agreed to put it into tourist traps, so we did not enter, but we passed by, during our night visit to Montmartre .....

I guess I would not pay 100 Euros for the show .... each person....

At night

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by ATLC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Actually, I just saw the movie on DVD. At first it was a bit boring, but just when I wanted to give up, it became quite impressive despite the very thin story.

See the website below for more information on the real Moulin Rouge in Paris.

Dress Code: Tie, I should think

• Moulin Rouge: Moulin rouge

by John8169 Written Apr 3, 2011

Went to moulin rouge tonight, check your jacket is 2 euro so try to do without one, otherwise they will let you take it in just not on the chair back. We didn't have the dinner just the show at 9pm but drinks seemed reasonable at 12 euro extra. Don't worry about the dress regulation, it's not strict, I was living out of a backpack so wore jeans and casual shoes with no problem, would have been nice to dress for it though. Show was fantastic, don't miss it.

Dress Code: As above

• Moulin Rouge: Moulin rouge

by John8169 Written Apr 3, 2011

Dress Code: As above

• Bourgeois's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Extravaganza

by Bourgeois Written Aug 16, 2010

Hubby and I went to The Moulin Rougue for my 50th birthday, needless to say It won't be forgotten. It was thouroughly enjoyable, colourful, exciting and I am glad I spent approx. 120AUD for the experience. I would spend that amount to see any show in Sydney, so it was not that expensive in comparison. A once in a lifetime event....

Dress Code: Smartly dressed, like most french people dress.

• Photography