Ngon Restaurant - 138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ho Chi Minh City

by Markyreid
  • annase's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon 138: Recommended by a local

by annase Updated Jan 10, 2015

I liked the atmosphere in Quan An Ngon 138. When we arrived, they had turned on some sort of sprinkling system, which released very fine spray of cooling water into the air, which was really lovely. The food was very nice and there was plenty of it. Unfortunately, I had suffered from stomach bug the day before, so I wasn't very hungry, but the restaurant is really nice. It was recommended to my friends by a Vietnamese guy, who they started talking to, on their way from Europe to Ho Chi Minh City.

Entrance

• jessicalovecanada's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great Decor, Average Food

by jessicalovecanada Updated Apr 4, 2013

The establishment has great decor and is worth a visit for that alone if you are craving something a bit different from the average HCMC vibe. The menu is big with lots of choices but the food was quite average and definitely overpriced.

Favorite Dish: The sauteed flowers were interesting.

• Luxury Travel

• Quan An Ngon: Awful -worst food in vietnam!

by pjgoodway Written Dec 29, 2011

I have just dined at this restaurant (29/12/2011) and want you to know how awful it was both in terms of food and service. I ordered a beer and beef skewers with rice. The beer was served in a boiling hot glass - just out of the dishwasher and when I informed the waiter he laughed. Then the beef arrived 10 minutes before the rice (despite requests for it to be served) and the beef was then tough as old boots. We've been in Vietnam for two weeks now, and this was the worst food and service I have ever experienced. While the restaurant was full and looked nice, it was let down by the very poor food. I got the impression that we were treated in this way because we were tourists. I'd strongly recommend that you avoid this place.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• Luxury Travel

• viet street: No More

by atiziano Written Jun 25, 2011

More is now less. Street food for the " white tablecloth" is no more a good dining experience. The first and foremost : Nothing taste good.
    The concept of street food made well and sanitary for all palates , is no more. A Bahn Xeo that is barely filled , the simple bean sprouts are not even edible

NO this places needs to go back, less is more.

Favorite Dish: none

• ccortez's Profile Photo

Quan an Ngon: Best place for Hue Spicy Noodle Soup!!!

by ccortez Updated Jun 14, 2011

I really like the decorations and architecture of this restaurant. It's the right atmosphere to eat local Vietnamese food. Most importantly, the place is clean and nice so I never feel worried about getting stomachache while eating here :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was definitely Hue Spicy Noodle Soup. It has a very authentic taste. I actually found this noodle was more flavorful than Pho. It had the uniquely thick noodles, Vietnamese hams (with pepper) and ham hock~~ yummy! The restaurant did not make the noodles too spicy so I was able to finish the whole bowl :)

• Asian food court: EXciting experience & great food

by Cellini1 Written Dec 25, 2010

Don't miss this. Browse many kitchens surrounding courtyard in this old mansion and choose to try what delights you to try. Staff are busy but will help if you persist. Don't be afraid of fresh vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Spring rolls.

• Quan An Ngon: Only a Nice Building

by kenmunn Written Nov 25, 2010

Having rejected the restaurant by the same people in Hanoi over 2 years ago, we decided to try the one in HCMC just to see if it was different and a better experience. Oh Well... Its surely a beautiful place. But the experience stops there. While the food is tasty enough, the minuscule portions are a major disappointment (same as Hanoi), and the service at this restaurant was just pitiful. Most of the wait staff just didn't seem to have a clue. And there was no leadership for them anywhere. My companion ordered a full plate meal, grilled sliced beef, rice, veggies. She said it was very nice.. And, it came to the table almost immediately. I ordered a basic green salad, the ox tail soup, and grilled pork ribs with green onion. My companion had completed with her whole meal before I was served the salad. Not any amount of asking could get me a knife and fork for the salad, however I did finally get some salt. The soup was good enough, but the tiny bits of ox tail were tough as leather. All that gone, as well as my patience, and I was finally delivered my pork ribs. And after raising my voice, a knife and fork. Two tiny ribs, with some green onion sprinkled over them. I think there was more meat in the soup than on the ribs. I just hate leaving a restaurant hunting for a place to go eat. So, unless you just like to be seen in a nice location, avoid both the Quan An Ngon restaurants, HCMC and Hanoi.

Favorite Dish: Haven't got one.

• Museum Visits
    • Business Travel

• Huynh912's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Fun place... Average food.

by Huynh912 Updated Jan 6, 2010

I'm glad we went to Quan An Ngon. It was fun and the place looks really nice, but if you're really into the food it is disappointing. The food was okay; just average. We had a lot of different items and nothing was bad, but nothing was great either.

by featherdeane Written Jan 6, 2009

This is a great restuarant, specialising in Vietnamese cuisine, so good infact we ate here 2 out of 3 nights and then tried the one in Hanoi (we prefered Saigon). The ambience was good, the service excellent, the waiters spoke English and will advise you what to eat and then how to eat it, need be. You can't come here and just have 1 meal each - you must order a variety of dishes so you can share like the Asians do. It is far more enjoyable and you get to taste a variety of food.

Favorite Dish: The Vietnamese crab, sweet potatoe and shrimp pancake, the fish soup and to be honest, everything we had was good, except for the drunken rice pudding. Generally speaking Asian desserts are not for Western palates - best stick to the delicious ice-cream.

• Quan an ngon: Sugar cane prawn

by Clawdia78 Written Mar 18, 2008

Okay I guess I have to mark it under 'street vendor' as that's what all the chefs are. This is an awesome place for dinner or lunch, I'd read on here that it was a good place to eat, thought I'd ask our hotel manager where a good place to eat was, guess where he said.... that's right, Quan An Ngon. We ate here 4 times in 7 days, fanatstic food and service, if you don't knwo what to eat, just ask the staff, they will recommend something. It's special in the fact that you just rock up and they'll seat you within 10mins max. It has a buzzing atmosphere, not too lit up but not so dim that you can't see what you're eating.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the sugar cane prawn (shared it with me), was delicious, I had rice with pork and beef, another delicious dish, then again we ate here 4 times, I can't remember what else I had but all the food was fantastic. Have to try the ice-cream in young coconut...... that was awesome, and the fresh fruit shakes too (I liked banana), try not to eat fruit in Vietnam, when you get home you'll be sorely disappointed, we got home and found the fruit here bites. I like all the dishes, can't really pick a favourite. Just pick something, if you don't like it, order something else, it's so cheap you can afford to... I don't think you'll not like it though.

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Delicious Vietnamese

by JohanIsWeg Updated Mar 13, 2008

The best restaurant we visited in Vietnam - by a long stretch! Dug into Bun Cha (vermicelli, ground pork balls with fresh herbs and fish sauce at VND 22000), Muc Nuong Muoi Ot (grilled squid with chilli salt at VND 50000), Bo Nuong Muoi Ot (grilled beef with chilli salt and seasoned toast at VND 50000) - all washed down with Bia Saigon Special (VND 16000) and a Ngon Ngon cocktail (vodka, triple sec, midori, lemon and pineapple at VND 32000).

Favorite Dish: The Muc Nuong Muoi Ot (grilled squid with chilli salt) was superb... love the chilli salt, which gives the tender seafood a special tang.

Muc Nuong Muoi Ot Bo Nuong Muoi Ot
    • Seniors

• Markyreid's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Street food in a restaurant

by Markyreid Updated Sep 6, 2007

A novel idea has bought together the local street vendors in a hygenic and regulated restaurant. The prices are still very cheap, the food is fantastic and the atmosphere is very quaint. Highly recommended.

Inside the restaurant Preaparation of meals

• Quan An Ngon: The Best retaurant in Saigaon

by praticaltraveler Written Aug 7, 2007

This place is in front of the old Presidential Palace. Good selection of viet cousine. Place is clean and the staff are accomodating, avoid the rush of lunch crowd if possible. We ate lunch here while waiting for the Palace to open in the afternoon. Write down he name of the palce and show it to the taxi driver.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Comments

View all Ho Chi Minh City hotels