El Nido Warnings and Dangers

A major jelly fish in the depths
    by GenuinelyCurious
  •   Warnings and Dangers
    by anliz99
      This guy cruised right up to our boat
    by GenuinelyCurious

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in El Nido

SALTY WATER
davidjo profile photo
davidjo 1343 reviews

The water situation is not so good now in El Nido as the water that is supplied to most of the town is extremely salty, and if frozen to make ice it becomes a little spongy. Never drink the water from the faucet, always purchase bottled water.

Written May 8, 2013

Some Roads are Still Under Construction
gerum profile photo
gerum 6 reviews

The road to El Nido seemed to be in very good condition during the first 3 ½ hours of the trip. But a few kilometers after Roxas City, we started to pass through a combination of smooth and rough roads. The highway was under contruction during our visit. At some point during the trip, the van we were riding got stuck in the mud .

Updated Aug 9, 2011

Swimming at El Nido town beach
edwinic profile photo

edwinic 53 reviews

The beach facing the town of El Nido is lovely aside from being accessible from most of the affordable cottages along it.

It invites foreigners to wade on it. In one occassion I saw a bunch of bikini cladded girls having fun by splashing sea waters among each but household discharge go direct to this lovely beach

Written Jul 1, 2009

Dying corals
icouldiwill profile photo

icouldiwill 18 reviews
Boats anchored over the coral

El Nido is not a paradise of coral gardens. Most corals (about 80-90%) has been destroyed by reckless fishing practices (cyanide, dynamite and drag nets). The remaining 10-20% is being destroyed by insensible tourism.

When you take a boat tour, they mostly take you to a place where there are still some corals left. Then they throw anchor right on the coral (in a depth though, where you cannot see it while snorkeling) breaking some. Then they use "tikin" to park, which is a bamboo stick used to push the boat, and kill more. Then the boat people (we took 3 different companies) usually just step on the corals and kill more.

Then they take you to a secret lagoon and guide you on a path on the shallow waters where there is hardly any way to reach the beach without breaking many corals. On the way out they help you break more.

Furthermore, nobody ever tells anyone that corals are very fragile. Not on the beach, not in tour companies, not even in tourist information. So many tourists who come here bring back some of the remaining corals and starfishes as gifts. Nobody tells them not to.

Corals grow very slowly, about 1 cm in 3 to 10 years depending on the type of coral. They are alive on the surface, so even touching them can kill life around that part. I have sadly seen tour guides guiding people to stand on flat topped corals where the sea is deep. All these corals are already dead on the top and look like pieces of rock. When corals die, the sea life also dies. You can see it for yourself just by comparing a bombed coral field and a relatively alive one. My assumption is that each tour boat destroys about 1/3 the size of the boat in corals. With a rough calculation this would mean in another 10 years they won't be doing much business.

When I tried to tell this to them they looked at me with eyes saying "you westerners, you come here and preach. We are making money here." Because they really seem to be ignorant of the fact that they are destroying their own source of income.

When you are there, please tell the boat crews as well as the people you take the tour with, before you land anywhere, that corals are very fragile and they grow very slowly. Please raise awareness that just floating rather than touching or stepping is the only sustainable way for the corals. If we care to find corals and fish some time later.

Written Oct 28, 2008

Diving and Snorkeling

Broken glass on town beach
icouldiwill profile photo

icouldiwill 18 reviews
El Nido Beach as seen from Alternative

I just couldn't believe this. Each time I walked across the town beach I collected pieces of glass; not the pieces that are softened on the edges by the waves but sharp pieces which were possibly newly broken. I must have done it 10 times, each time collecting around 20-30 pieces and there seemed to be no decrease in the number of pieces of glass you can cut your foot with.

El Nido beach is a relatively clean beach and is regularly cleaned of rubbish. It seemed to me that the rubbish cleaning people tend to ignore the glass either because there is too much on the beach or because being transparent it is harder to spot than the plastic bags. Glass may be biodegradable but it certainly poses a threat on people walking and playing on the beach. So next time you are there, please, you also pick some and show and tell the people that this is dangerous.

Written Oct 28, 2008

Dangerous waters
GenuinelyCurious profile photo

GenuinelyCurious 190 reviews
A major jelly fish in the depths

As usual in the tropics, watch out for jellyfish like this bad boy and don’t forget urchin spines are incredibly painful. Trigger fish can bite and fire fish burn. In general, don’t touch anything in the water!

Written May 27, 2008

Diving and Snorkeling
 Adventure Travel

Beware of jellyfish!
anliz99 profile photo

anliz99 80 reviews

I guess the only problem we had with El Nido is the jelly fish issue. I guess it was probably jellyfish season because we see them almost everywhere. Different colors and different sizes! Brown ones, clear ones etc. But it was the really small see-through ones that were the real killer. We encountered these while we were snorkeling in one of the areas during our Tour B. It was really painful. Good thing we had vinegar on the boat and this took away most of the sting. The Godiva anti-jellyfish sunblock also helps.

Remember to always have vinegar on hand :)

Written May 6, 2008

Cliff Climbing
BMer profile photo

BMer 51 reviews

This activity is very dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If you must do this, and you are physically fit, make sure that you go with a guide. And, if you got the same pictures like these, you probably got injured or dead by now.

Guides usually charge P400-500 for cliff climbing. They're everywhere. Just ask around. I befriended a not-so-busy boat operator and he agreed to take me climbing for a couple of San Miguels and Pork Sinigang with rice.

Firstly, I thought there would be hiking trails leading to the top. I was wrong! We had to actually climb the limestone cliff which you would have to grab/hang on to sharp and jagged edges of rocks without any ropes or safety equipments. I was only wearing a t shirt, shorts, and chinelas.

To make my story short, I got lacerations on the palm of my hands, my chinelas were shredded, my El Nido t shirt was ripped (I had to buy a new one --- P180), and my shorts was ripped right in the crotch area too.

It took us about a couple of hours to go up the top and back to the bottom. This was the scariest thing I've ever done in my life.

Updated Jan 25, 2008

Typhoons
TonyBagnall profile photo

TonyBagnall 119 reviews
This boat landed in the plot next to us

Apparently el Nido does not get the worst of the typhoon season, but when we were there one passed quite close by, left us rained in for two days and caused devastation on the beach. The winds were strong enough to make us worry about our hut!

Written Dec 23, 2006

No ATM in el nido
TonyBagnall profile photo

TonyBagnall 119 reviews

There are no real banking facilities in el nido and definitely no ATM, so best thing is to bring all the peso you will need. Judith at the Arts cafe will let you draw money off a credit card if you have to, but its expensive and best avoided. Judith will also let you run a tab for food and trips which you can pay off at the end of your trip with a creit card for no extra fee

Written Dec 23, 2006

Comments

Top 3 Hotels in El Nido

Marina Garden Beach Resort

Marina Garden Beach Resort

6 Reviews and 107 Opinions  if you look for more quiet palce you should look something not in center .. You should try to get...

Dolarog Beach Resort

Dolarog Beach Resort

6 Reviews and 49 Opinions  The main problem with Dolarog is the Italian owner and his Philippino wife who were extremely rude...

Elnido Four Seasons Resort

Elnido Four Seasons Resort

1 Review and 34 Opinions  My girlfriend and I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel for three nights in October of 2011 and were...

Map of El Nido