How to Find Past Flight Prices
When planning your next trip, it’s always helpful to have an idea of how flight prices have fluctuated in the past. By understanding the historical price trends, you can make informed decisions and potentially save money on your bookings. In this article, we will explore various methods to find past flight prices and help you navigate through the process.
1. Utilize Fare Comparison Websites: Websites like Skyscanner, Kayak, and Google Flights allow you to search for flights and also provide historical price data. They offer insights into past prices, enabling you to make comparisons and identify the best time to book.
2. Check Airline Websites: Many airlines display historical price data on their websites. This information can be found in the form of charts or calendars, allowing you to analyze price patterns over time.
3. Use Flight Tracking Services: Websites such as Hopper and Airfarewatchdog offer flight tracking services that not only notify you of price drops but also provide historical price data. This will help you track and analyze past flight prices.
4. Explore Online Travel Agencies: Online travel agencies like Expedia and Priceline often provide historical price data for flights. Additionally, they offer price alerts, allowing you to monitor price changes and make informed decisions.
5. Consider Airfare Aggregators: Airfare aggregators, such as FareCompare and Momondo, gather data from multiple sources and provide comprehensive historical price information. They are particularly useful when searching for flights across different airlines and travel agencies.
6. Consult Travel Forums: Online travel forums like FlyerTalk and TripAdvisor often have threads dedicated to tracking historical flight prices. Members of these forums share their experiences and insights, offering valuable information to help you find past flight prices.
7. Analyze Travel Blogs: Travel bloggers often provide detailed accounts of their trips, including the prices they paid for flights. By reading through their experiences, you can get an idea of past flight prices and potentially find useful tips for saving money.
8. Use Flight Price Trackers: Several websites and apps, such as CamelCamelCamel and Skyscanner Price Alerts, allow you to set up price trackers. These trackers notify you when prices drop below a specified threshold, enabling you to find past flight prices and make informed decisions.
9. Check Historical Data on Booking Websites: Some booking websites, like CheapOair and Orbitz, offer historical flight price data. They provide insights into past prices for specific routes and help you determine the best time to book.
10. Follow Airlines on Social Media: Airlines often post flash sales and special offers on their social media platforms. By following them on platforms like Twitter and Facebook, you can stay updated on past flight prices and take advantage of any discounted fares.
11. Subscribe to Newsletters: Sign up for newsletters from airlines, travel agencies, and fare comparison websites. They often include information on past flight prices, promotional offers, and discounts.
12. Consider Seasonal Trends: Keep in mind that flight prices can vary depending on the season and demand. Research the seasonal trends for your desired destination and plan accordingly.
13. Be Flexible with Your Travel Dates: By being flexible with your travel dates, you can take advantage of lower prices. Use fare comparison websites to explore different departure and return dates and find the best deals.
Common Questions and Answers
1. Can I find past flight prices for specific airlines?
Yes, many fare comparison websites, airline websites, and travel agencies provide historical price data for specific airlines.
2. How far back can I find past flight prices?
The availability of historical flight price data varies depending on the source. Some websites provide data for several years, while others may only offer information for the past few months.
3. Can I find past flight prices for international flights?
Yes, most methods mentioned above can be used to find historical prices for both domestic and international flights.
4. Are the past flight prices accurate?
Past flight prices can give you a general idea of price trends, but they may not be exact for your specific travel dates. Prices can vary due to factors such as seasonality, demand, and airline promotions.
5. Can I find past flight prices for specific routes?
Yes, many fare comparison websites and booking websites offer historical price data for specific routes.
6. Do airlines offer refunds if the price drops after I book my flight?
Airlines typically do not offer refunds if the price drops after you have booked your flight. However, some airlines may allow you to change your booking for a fee.
7. How can I use past flight prices to save money?
By analyzing historical price trends, you can identify the best time to book your flight and potentially save money.
8. Can I find past flight prices for business or first-class tickets?
Yes, most methods mentioned above can be used to find historical prices for business or first-class tickets as well.
9. Can I find past flight prices for specific days of the week?
Yes, fare comparison websites often allow you to filter search results by specific days of the week, helping you find past flight prices for desired travel days.
10. Is there a specific time of day when flight prices are generally lower?
Flight prices can fluctuate throughout the day. However, some studies suggest that booking flights during weekdays or during the early morning hours may offer better deals.
11. Can I find past flight prices for budget airlines?
Yes, many fare comparison websites and booking platforms include budget airlines in their search results and provide historical price data for these carriers.
12. Can I find past flight prices for last-minute bookings?
While finding past flight prices for last-minute bookings can be challenging, some fare comparison websites and travel agencies offer insights into price trends for spontaneous travel.
13. How often should I check for past flight prices?
It is recommended to start monitoring flight prices at least a few months before your desired travel dates. Keep checking periodically to identify any significant price drops.