How Do I Replace a Lost Driver’s License in Georgia?
Losing your driver’s license can be a frustrating experience, but fortunately, replacing it in Georgia is a relatively straightforward process. Whether your license has been misplaced, stolen, or damaged, the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) provides a simple procedure to obtain a replacement. In this article, we will guide you through the steps required to replace a lost driver’s license in Georgia.
1. Visit the DDS website: Begin by visiting the DDS website at https://dds.georgia.gov/. This is the official platform where you can access all the necessary information and forms required for replacing a lost driver’s license.
2. Gather required documents: Make sure to gather the necessary documents before visiting a DDS Customer Service Center. You will need your Social Security number, proof of identity and residency (such as a birth certificate or passport), and proof of citizenship or legal presence, if applicable.
3. Complete the DDS Form DS-64: To replace a lost driver’s license, you must complete the DDS Form DS-64, which is a Lost or Stolen License Affidavit. This form can be found on the DDS website, and you can either fill it out online or print a copy to complete manually.
4. Pay the replacement fee: The fee for replacing a lost driver’s license in Georgia is $32. Payment can be made in person at a DDS Customer Service Center by cash, check, or credit/debit card. Alternatively, you can pay the fee online using a credit/debit card before visiting the DDS center.
5. Visit a DDS Customer Service Center: Locate the nearest DDS Customer Service Center and visit in person to replace your lost driver’s license. Remember to bring all the necessary documents, completed form DS-64, and the payment receipt if you paid the fee online.
Now, let’s address some common questions regarding replacing a lost driver’s license in Georgia:
1. Do I need to file a police report if my license was stolen?
No, filing a police report is not required to replace a lost or stolen driver’s license in Georgia. However, it is advisable to report the theft to the police for your own protection.
2. Can I replace my license if I’m out of state?
Yes, you can replace your lost driver’s license even if you are out of state. You can either visit a DDS Customer Service Center in Georgia or complete the process online.
3. How long does it take to receive a replacement license?
Once you have completed the necessary steps, you should receive your replacement driver’s license by mail within 7-10 business days.
4. Can I still drive while waiting for my replacement license?
No, it is illegal to drive without a valid driver’s license in Georgia. You must wait until you have received your replacement license before driving again.
5. Can I change my address when replacing my license?
Yes, you can update your address when replacing your lost driver’s license. Make sure to provide the correct documentation proving your new address.
6. What if my license was damaged?
If your driver’s license is damaged but still readable, you can continue using it until you receive your replacement. However, if it is severely damaged or unreadable, it is recommended to replace it as soon as possible.
7. Can I replace my lost learner’s permit or ID card using the same process?
Yes, the same process applies for replacing a lost learner’s permit or ID card in Georgia. Simply follow the steps mentioned earlier.
8. Can I replace my commercial driver’s license (CDL) using this process?
No, the process for replacing a lost or stolen CDL differs from a regular driver’s license. Contact the DDS Commercial Driver’s License Division for specific instructions.
9. Can I replace my license online?
Yes, you can replace your lost driver’s license online through the DDS website. However, certain eligibility criteria must be met, and not all licenses can be replaced online.
10. Can I expedite the replacement process?
Yes, you can request expedited service for an additional fee. This allows you to receive your replacement driver’s license within 1-2 business days.
11. Can I replace my license if it was suspended or revoked?
No, you cannot replace a suspended or revoked license. You must first resolve the suspension or revocation issue, and then follow the necessary steps to reinstate your license.
12. What should I do if I find my lost license after receiving a replacement?
If you find your lost license after receiving a replacement, you must return the original license to a DDS Customer Service Center. Failure to do so may result in penalties or fines.
Replacing a lost driver’s license in Georgia is a relatively simple process. By following the steps outlined above and ensuring you have all the required documents, you can quickly obtain a replacement and resume your normal driving activities. Remember, it is crucial to comply with all the rules and regulations set forth by the DDS to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.