7 Companies That Offer Full Coverage Car Insurance in Hawaii
Hawaii has some of the highest rates for car insurance in the nation, but there are a few companies that offer great full coverage plans at reasonable prices. Here are seven companies that offer full coverage car insurance in Hawaii:
- State Farm - State Farm is one of the most well-known providers when it comes to car insurance and they have been serving Hawaii residents since 1936. They offer comprehensive policies with roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement as well as discounts for safe Makawao drivers and multi-policy holders.
- Allstate - Allstate offers Hawaii residents a wide range of car insurance options with competitive pricing and coverage. They also offer discounts for safety features such as anti-theft devices, and their accident forgiveness program can help keep rates low even after an at-fault accident.
- Liberty Mutual - Liberty Mutual provides Hawaii residents with full coverage policies that include rental car reimbursement and roadside assistance. They also have significant multi-policy discounts available when you combine your auto insurance with other types of coverage.
- GEICO - GEICO is known for its low prices and exceptional customer service, which makes them a great choice for Makawao drivers. They offer full coverage policies that include gap insurance, roadside assistance, and more. Plus, you can save money on your premiums when you bundle your auto insurance with other types of coverage.
- Hawaii Automobile Insurance Association (HAIA) - The Hawaii Automobile Insurance Association is a non-profit organization that provides Hawaii residents with affordable car insurance options. They offer full coverage plans with roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and much more.
- Hawaii Pacific Insurance Company (HPIC) - Hawaii Pacific Insurance Company is another great option for Makawao Hawaii drivers looking for comprehensive policies at an affordable rate. They have been serving Hawaii residents since 1974 and provide excellent customer service along with their full coverage policies that include gap coverage and rental car reimbursement.
- Island Insurance - Island Insurance has been providing Hawaii residents with reliable car insurance solutions since 1949 and they are committed to providing affordable full coverage policies with excellent customer service. Their plans include roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement as well as discounts for multi-policy holders.
No matter which company you choose, make sure you take the time to look at all of your options before committing to a policy. Makawao is an expensive place to insure a vehicle, but there are still plenty of companies that offer great full coverage car insurance plans at reasonable prices. With some research, you can find the right plan for your needs and budget.
It may help your shopping experience to compare the rates of other cities by zip code such as 16673, 89883, 06807, 76667, 46055, 34997, 96768, 02791, 99403, and 34785.
Do Your Need Temporary Car Insurance if You're From Out of State in Hawaii?
If you're visiting Makawao from out of state, you may be wondering if you need temporary car insurance. The answer is yes, depending on your situation. Hawaii requires vehicles registered in the state to have valid auto insurance coverage at all times, so if you're driving a car that's registered outside of Hawaii and plan to operate it in Hawaii, then you must purchase temporary car insurance for your vehicle while it's within the state. This type of policy will provide coverage in case an accident occurs while you are there.
When shopping for temporary auto insurance in Makawao, make sure to review the various policies available and their features before making a purchase. In many cases, rental cars can be covered by a rental agreement or credit card coverage, so make sure to check with your rental car company before purchasing additional coverage. Additionally, Hawaii has certain liability limits that must be met in order for a policy to be valid, so it's important to read the fine print and make sure you understand exactly what type of insurance you need while driving in Hawaii.
While Hawaii requires all drivers operating vehicles on its roads and highways to carry auto insurance, temporary car insurance can provide extra protection and peace of mind when you're visiting from out of state. Before planning your trip to Hawaii, make sure you understand the state's auto insurance requirements and consider purchasing temporary car insurance for your vehicle. That way, if an accident does occur while you're there, you'll have some financial protection.
Rental Car Insurance vs Rental Car Reimbursement in Hawaii
When it comes to planning a Makawao vacation, one of the most important considerations is rental car insurance and rental car reimbursement. Generally speaking, Hawaii requires drivers to hold at least liability coverage on their rental cars. This means that even if you already have an auto insurance policy, you may need to purchase additional coverage for your Hawaii rental car.
Rental car insurance covers damages incurred while you are renting the vehicle. Depending on the type of coverage purchased, this could include damage caused by collisions as well as damage caused by theft or vandalism. Rental car reimbursement often covers any costs associated with renting a replacement vehicle due to mechanical breakdowns or other issues that prevent you from using your rented vehicle. In Hawaii, there are several options available to meet your rental car insurance and reimbursement needs.
One option is to purchase Hawaii Rental Car Insurance, which includes both liability coverage and physical damage protection. This type of policy may also include additional coverage such as road service, personal effects protection, medical payments, and more. Hawaii Rental Car Reimbursement is another option that offers similar coverage but does not include liability coverage. This type of policy may be a good choice for those who already have an auto insurance policy with adequate liability limits.
10 Worst Used Cars to Own in Hawaii
If you live in Hawaii, the cost of owning a car can be substantially higher than other states because of Hawaii's higher taxes and insurance rates. You don't want to make things even worse by choosing a used car that is unreliable, expensive to maintain, or prone to breakdowns. Here are ten used cars that you should avoid at all costs if you're shopping for a vehicle in Hawaii:
- Jeep Cherokee XJ: This model is known for having electrical problems and frequent engine issues.
- Nissan Versa Note: The CVT transmission tends to fail at low mileage, which can be both costly and inconvenient.
- Honda Insight (2009-2011): The hybrid system in these models is known for being unreliable and expensive to repair.
- Chevrolet Cobalt (2007-2010): This model has a history of suspension and engine problems, as well as faulty electrical systems.
- Volkswagen Jetta (2006-2013): These models are prone to transmission issues, which can be costly to fix.
- Toyota Corolla (2009-2010): This model has been known to have several mechanical problems, including issues with the brakes, steering and transmission.
- Ford Focus (2008-2011): There have been numerous reports of transmission failure in this model, making it especially risky in Hawaii's tropical climate.
- Chrysler PT Cruiser: The brake system on these cars is known to be unreliable and require frequent repairs.
- Jeep Liberty (2008-2012): This model has been known to have issues with its electrical system, as well as problems with the transmission.
- BMW 3 Series (2006-2011): These models are prone to numerous mechanical problems, including issues with the brakes and suspension.
It is important to do your research before purchasing a used car in Makawao. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and avoid these ten cars at all costs. With the cost of living in Hawaii already so high, you don't want to make matters worse by buying an unreliable car that's going to cost you even more money in repairs down the line.
10 Best New Cars to Lease in Hawaii
If you're looking for the best new car to lease in Makawao, look no further. Hawaii's beautiful beaches and breathtaking views make it an ideal destination to explore in a brand-new car. To help you find the perfect vehicle for your travels, we've compiled a list of the 10 best cars to lease in Hawaii.
- Hyundai Kona: This compact crossover is stylish and efficient, making it an ideal choice for Hawaii's roads. It also offers plenty of features, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, as well as an available all-wheel drive system that can handle Hawaii's rugged terrain with ease.
- Honda Civic: The popular Honda Civic adds luxury touches like heated seats and a sunroof to its already impressive list of features. The Civic can also be had in both hatchback and sedan versions, making it a great choice for Makawao HI drivers who want something versatile.
- Toyota Corolla: This classic compact car has been around since the 1960s, and it continues to be one of the best cars to lease in Hawaii. It offers modern amenities like Bluetooth connectivity, a rearview camera, and available all-wheel drive that make it perfect for Hawaii's roads.
- Subaru Outback: If you're looking for an SUV that can handle Hawaii's rugged terrain with ease, then the Subaru Outback is your best bet. It comes equipped with symmetrical all-wheel drive, a roomy interior, and plenty of cargo space, making it perfect for Hawaii's outdoor adventures.
- Chevrolet Bolt: This fully electric vehicle is one of the best cars to lease in Hawaii if you're looking to reduce your carbon footprint. The Bolt offers an impressive range of up to 259 miles on a single charge, as well as many convenient features like automatic climate control and 10 active safety technologies.
- Mazda CX-5: The Mazda CX-5 is a great choice for Makawao HI drivers who want a stylish and reliable SUV with excellent fuel economy. It comes equipped with a powerful Skyactiv engine that can handle Hawaii's winding roads with ease, plus plenty of advanced driver-assistance features that make it a safe and enjoyable ride.
- Jeep Cherokee: The Jeep Cherokee is the perfect choice for Makawao drivers who want something rugged and dependable. It offers plenty of off-road capabilities, a powerful engine, and an impressive number of standard features that make every drive in Hawaii more enjoyable.
- Nissan Rogue: This versatile crossover is one of the best cars to lease in Hawaii if you're looking for something spacious and comfortable. It comes with a long list of high-tech features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, as well as driver-assistance technologies that help keep you safe on Hawaii's roads.
- Kia Soul: If you're looking for an affordable car with plenty of style, then the Kia Soul is a great choice. It offers a long list of standard features like power windows and locks, as well as an available turbocharged engine that can handle Hawaii's winding roads with ease.
- Ford Fusion: The Ford Fusion is one of the best cars to lease in Hawaii if you're looking for something reliable and efficient. It comes with a wide range of convenience features like heated seats and adaptive cruise control, plus an available all-wheel drive system that gives you extra traction when you need it most.
10 Most Popular SUV's to Rent in Hawaii
Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places to visit, and a great way to get around is by renting an SUV. Whether you're cruising up the coast or heading into the rainforest, you'll need a reliable vehicle that can take on even the toughest terrain. Here's our pick of 10 popular SUV rentals in Hawaii so you can explore with ease.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: This mid-size SUV is the perfect size for taking on Hawaii's highways and byways. It has plenty of power, a luxurious interior, and offers great off-road capabilities.
- Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: The RAV4 hybrid is a great option if you want to reduce your fuel costs while exploring Hawaii's stunning scenery. With its smooth ride and responsive handling, you can enjoy a comfortable journey regardless of where it takes you.
- Ford Explorer: The Ford Explorer is an excellent choice for larger groups who need plenty of room for luggage or extra passengers without sacrificing comfort or performance. It's equipped with all-wheel drive that makes it capable of tackling Hawaii's winding roads with ease.
- Hyundai Santa Fe: The Santa Fe is a great mid-size SUV choice if you want maximum space and comfort without compromising on power or style. It has plenty of room for passengers, luggage, and cargo while still delivering an excellent fuel economy rating.
- Ford Expedition: If you're looking for a large SUV that can handle Hawaii's toughest roads, the Ford Expedition is the perfect pick. It offers plenty of room for up to 8 people and their gear, as well as powerful engines that make it capable of tackling any terrain.
- Nissan Pathfinder: The Pathfinder is an ideal option for families who don't want to sacrifice space or convenience when travelling around Hawaii's islands. With its comfortable interior and roomy cargo area, it's perfect for all types of trips.
- Honda Pilot: The Honda Pilot is a great choice if you need something that can handle Hawaii's roads while still providing plenty of power. It has an impressive list of features that make it the perfect SUV for exploring Hawaii in style and comfort.
- Chevrolet Tahoe: If you're looking for a reliable and spacious vehicle to take on Hawaii's toughest trails, then look no further than the Chevy Tahoe. With its powerful engine, luxurious interior, and generous seating capacity, it's more than capable of taking on anything Hawaii has to offer.
- Kia Sorento: The Kia Sorento is perfect for those who want a reliable, fuel-efficient SUV without sacrificing performance. It's smooth and comfortable driving makes it a great choice for Hawaii's roads, while its powerful engine ensures you have plenty of power when you need it.
- Toyota 4Runner: The Toyota 4Runner is an excellent off-road vehicle that can take on Hawaii's toughest trails in style and comfort. With plenty of room for passengers and cargo, as well as powerful engines, it's the perfect choice for anyone looking to explore Hawaii in total freedom.
Top 5 Car Rental Apps in Hawaii
Hawaii is an amazing destination for tourists and locals alike. With its stunning beaches, lush landscapes and vibrant culture, Hawaii is a great place to explore by car. But with so many car rental apps available in Makawao, it can be hard to decide which one to choose. To help you out, we've compiled a list of the top 5 car rental apps in Hawaii.
- Budget Hawaii: This popular app offers convenient access to a wide range of vehicles from leading brands like Honda and Toyota. The app allows you to search for the best deals on cars in Hawaii and compare prices across different rental companies. You can also book directly from the app, pay securely through PayPal or Apple Pay, and get exclusive discounts and offers.
- Hawaii Rides: Hawaii Rides is a great app for budget travelers who want to get the best car rental deal in Hawaii without compromising on service or quality. The app enables you to book directly from the company, view photos of available vehicles and save money with special offers.
- Aloha Car Rentals: Aloha Car Rentals is Hawaii's premier car hire agency, offering luxury rentals at an affordable rate. With this app, you can search through thousands of cars in Hawaii, compare prices and find the perfect ride for your needs. You can also take advantage of amazing discounts when you book through the app.
- Get Around Hawaii: This popular app is perfect for those who want to rent cars in Hawaii without breaking the bank. You can search through thousands of Hawaii car rentals, compare prices and book directly from the app. Plus, you'll get exclusive discounts when you book through Get Around Hawaii.
- Hawaii Car Rental: Hawaii Car Rental offers a wide range of vehicles ranging from sedans to SUVs at affordable rates. With this app, you can quickly find your ideal rental car in Hawaii and then book it with just a few taps on your device. The app also allows you to access special deals and discounts for Hawaii car rentals, so you can save even more money on your next journey.
Top 7 Road Trips in Hawaii
One of the best parts about Hawaii is that you can take your time exploring each island with a road trip. From stunning beaches and lush rainforests to active volcanoes, Hawaii offers an unparalleled road trip experience. Here are some of the top 7 road trips in Hawaii for those looking for adventure:
- Hana Highway - This winding road takes you along Maui's rugged coastline from Kahului to Hana. Along the way, you'll pass through lush jungles and cascading waterfalls. Stop at one of the many stops or make it a longer trip by staying overnight on one of the East Maui beaches.
- Kona Coast Drive - Take a leisurely drive down the rugged coastline of Hawaii's Big Island. Stop at one of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park or take a dip in the Kealakekua Bay. Make sure to check out the Honaunau Botanical Gardens and if you have time, visit some coffee plantations in Hualalai.
- Kalalau Trail - This 11 mile trail hugs Kauai's Napali Coast offering incredible views of the Na Pali Coastline. Start from Ke'e beach and end your journey at Hanakapiai Beach. Along the way, enjoy spectacular sea cliffs, lush valleys and cascading waterfalls!
- Hawaii Loa Ridge Road - If you want to experience Hawaii's beauty at a slower pace, this seven-mile drive is the perfect option. Enjoy breathtaking views of Hawaii's North Shore from Hawaii Loa Ridge. Make sure to bring your camera - you won't want to miss out on any of the spectacular photo ops!
- Red Road - This road trip takes you through Hawaii Island's Kona Coast and Hilo area offering some of Hawaii's best attractions including Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow Falls State Park. Along the way, make sure to stop at Big Island Coffee Roasters and Mauna Kea Beach for an unforgettable experience.
- Kauai Grand Circle Tour - This three-day tour will take you all around the island of Kauai. From Waimea Canyon and Huleia National Wildlife Refuge to Kalalau Trail and Wailua River Valley, you'll experience Hawaii in all its beauty - from stunning beaches to lush forests!
- Haleakala Summit Road - This is one of Hawaii's most iconic road trips for those who love adventure. Drive up towards the summit of Mount Haleakala and enjoy breathtaking views of Maui's Central Valley. Make sure to keep an eye out for any endangered species that may be around during your journey!
Top 10 Driving Infractions and Their Associated Insurance Premium Increases in Hawaii
Drivers in Makawao need to be aware of the laws, regulations and penalties for driving infractions. Hawaii is known for its strict enforcement of traffic laws, so it's important that Makawao drivers are well-informed before they get behind the wheel. Speeding and reckless driving can have serious consequences in Hawaii, including increased insurance premiums. Here are the top ten driving infractions in Hawaii and their associated increases in car insurance premiums:
- Excessive speeding - Hawaii has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to speeding tickets, which means even going slightly over the speed limit can result in an expensive ticket. Insurance companies view excessive speeding as a major risk factor and will increase premiums by up to 10%.
- Driving without a valid license - Hawaii requires that Makawao drivers carry a valid driver's license at all times, and driving without one can result in fines of up to $1,000. Insurance premiums may be increased by as much as 17% for this infraction.
- Reckless driving - Hawaii is known for its strict enforcement of reckless driving laws. This infraction can include aggressive or erratic behavior behind the wheel such as excessive speeding, passing on shoulders or failing to yield right-of-way. Insurance companies will typically increase premiums by 20%.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) - Hawaii has some of the harshest DUI laws in the country and any conviction comes with severe consequences, including jail time and a possible increase in insurance premiums of up to 25%.
- Driving without car insurance - Hawaii requires all drivers to carry valid liability insurance for their vehicle. Failure to have proof of valid coverage when pulled over can result in hefty fines and an increase in premiums of up to 50%.
- Failing to obey traffic signals or signs - Hawaii takes this offense seriously, with tickets ranging from $50 to $200 and increases in premiums reaching as high as 20%.
- Lack of seat belt usage - Hawaii law requires that all passengers in vehicles wear a seat belt at all times, including those in the backseat. Not wearing one can lead to a fine of up to $100 and an increase in car insurance premiums of up to 10%.
- Distracted driving - Hawaii has laws banning the use of cell phones and other electronic devices while driving, with fines ranging from $100 to $200 depending on the offense. Insurance companies also penalize this infraction by increasing premiums as much as 17%.
- Leaving the scene of an accident - Hawaii law considers fleeing the scene of a crash a serious offense, resulting in possible jail time and hefty increases in insurance premiums for Makawao drivers involved.
- Driving without registration or inspection - Hawaii requires all registered vehicles to have current registration and pass vehicle inspection each year. Failing to do so can result in fines of up to $200 and potential premium increases of 20%.
Overall, Hawaii has strict laws regarding driving infractions and the consequences can be severe. Makawao drivers should take care to obey all traffic laws to avoid hefty fines and increased insurance premiums.
Cheap Liability vs Full Coverage Insurance in Hawaii
If you live in Makawao, there are many options for auto insurance coverage. You can choose between cheap liability insurance and full coverage insurance. A cheap liability policy is the most basic form of auto insurance and provides only the minimum level of protection required by Hawaii law. It includes property damage and bodily injury liability, but does not cover any repairs or medical expenses incurred due to an accident.
Full coverage auto insurance, on the other hand, offers much more extensive protection than a cheap liability policy. In addition to providing both property damage and bodily injury liability protection, it also covers your own vehicle repairs as well as medical expenses for yourself or others involved in an accident. Full coverage policies also often include additional features such as comprehensive and collision coverage, rental car reimbursement, and roadside assistance.
Going with a National Company vs a Local Broker or Agent in Makawao
Choosing between a national insurance company and a local Makawao agent or broker for the best deal can be a nuanced decision, largely dependent on your individual needs and circumstances. National insurance companies have their advantages. They typically offer a wider variety of products and services, and may provide discounts for bundling different types of insurance such as auto, dwelling, and life. These companies usually have extensive customer service departments, often available 24/7, and their digital platforms for quotes, policy management, claims, and payments are usually quite comprehensive. However, the trade-off might be less personalized service. Since you're more likely to deal with different customer service representatives each time, building a relationship with your insurer could be more challenging. Additionally, national insurers may not fully comprehend the specific insurance needs and risks of your local area in Makawao.
On the other hand, local Makawao agents and brokers can offer more personalized service and the opportunity to build a longstanding relationship. They can guide you through the intricacies of insurance policies, assist with claims, and are generally more attuned to the particular risks and insurance needs of your locality. Brokers, representing multiple insurance companies, are in a position to shop around for the best deal for you. To get an idea of how much rates can vary by zip code you could compare ones such as 35582, 96162, 10507, 25880, 45999, 47997, 96162, 19640, 98396, and 96768. However, their range of products may not be as wide as national insurers, and their operating hours might not be as flexible. Also, customer service may not be available round the clock. In terms of digital accessibility, their platforms may not be as user-friendly or feature-rich as those of larger, national companies.
In conclusion, the better option is largely dependent on your preferences. If a personal relationship and local Makawao expertise is valued, a local agent or broker could be your best bet. Conversely, if you prefer the convenience of digital tools, round-the-clock customer service, and a broader range of products, then a national insurance company might be the right choice. It's always prudent to compare quotes from different sources before making a decision.