5 Companies That Offer Mechanical Breakdown Insurance in Delaware
Dover residents who own cars need to make sure they have proper insurance coverage. Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) is a form of car insurance that covers repairs or replacements of specific parts of your vehicle should they fail due to normal wear and tear. Here are 5 companies that offer mechanical breakdown insurance in Delaware:
- Delaware Insurance Group - Delaware Insurance Group provides comprehensive mechanical breakdown protection for all makes and models, with both nationwide and Delaware-specific coverage options available. They also offer free roadside assistance and a $250 deductible per claim.
- The Hartford - The Hartford offers several different plans for Dover DE drivers, with benefits like full transferability, rental car reimbursement, 24/7 customer service, and discounted rates for Delaware members.
- Allstate - Allstate's Delaware-specific mechanical breakdown insurance offers coverage for parts and systems, including suspension, brakes, and electrical components. It also includes free roadside assistance and discounts for Dover Delaware drivers.
- Liberty Mutual - Liberty Mutual is a leading provider of mechanical breakdown insurance in Delaware, offering plans with deductible options from $0 to $1,000 per covered repair or replacement item. They also provide 24/7 customer service and rental car reimbursement benefits.
- GEICO - GEICO's Delaware MBI provides coverage for repairs resulting from wear and tear of certain vehicle components, as well as rental car reimbursement benefits up to $30 per day for up to 10 days while your car is being repaired. They also offer 24/7 customer service and free roadside assistance.
Before you choose a Delaware mechanical breakdown insurance plan, make sure to compare the benefits and coverage each provider offers to make sure it meets your needs. You may also want to consider raising your deductible or making other modifications in order to lower your premiums. No matter which Delaware MBI company you select, be sure to read all of the available information so that you understand exactly what's covered by the policy before signing on the dotted line.
It may help your shopping experience to compare the rates of other cities by zip code such as 34997, 99403, 19901, 65560, 75501, 38343, 85233, 23860, 70601, and 20331.
Do Your Need Temporary Car Insurance if You're Out of State or a Foreigner in Delaware?
If you're from out of state or are a foreigner, Delaware law requires that you have proper auto insurance coverage in order to drive legally. You may be able to obtain temporary car insurance if you need it while you visit Dover. This type of policy generally covers the same amount of liability and physical damage as your regular personal auto policy. Temporary car insurance is available for periods ranging from one day to six months, depending on your provider. It's important to keep in mind that this type of insurance is not designed for long-term use and will likely be more expensive than a traditional policy. If you plan to stay in Delaware for an extended period of time, it may be worth considering a standard auto policy from a local provider.
Rental Car Insurance vs Rental Car Reimbursement Insurance Delaware
Dover is an ideal place to rent a car. While renting, it's important to consider the types of insurance coverage you may need. There are two common coverages available from Delaware rental car companies: rental car insurance and rental car reimbursement insurance. Rental Car Insurance provides coverage for damage caused to the rented vehicle itself; this typically includes collision/loss damage waiver (CDW/LDW), personal accident insurance, and personal effects coverage. On the other hand, Rental Car Reimbursement Insurance provides protection in case of an accident or theft. This type of coverage will pay out if your own personal auto policy does not cover the expenses incurred while renting a vehicle in Delaware. Both of these policies can be purchased through Delaware rental car companies and are worth considering when making a reservation. Knowing the differences between these two types of insurance can help you make an informed decision about your coverage needs for renting in Delaware.
10 Worst Used Cars to Buy in Delaware
Dover is a great place to buy used cars, but there are some vehicles that Dover Delaware drivers should avoid. From models with high repair costs to those with poor safety ratings and fuel economy, these 10 used cars have earned their reputation as the worst in Delaware.
- Ford Explorer (2002-2005): This SUV has been known for its mechanical issues and poor reliability. Its engine problems include excessive oil consumption, transmission failure, and timing chain issues.
- Chevrolet Colorado (2004-2008): This pickup truck's issues range from faulty wiring to weak frame structure. The major problem areas are the engine and cooling system, which can both be expensive to repair.
- Honda Odyssey (1999-2004): This minivan has a reputation for poor fuel economy and expensive repairs. Its main issue is its transmission, which tends to fail early on due to wear and tear.
- Chevrolet Trailblazer (2002-2009): This SUV's off-road capabilities are a downside as it has weak suspension components that can cause major issues when the vehicle is driven over rough terrain. The engine has been known to suffer from chronic problems with oil consumption and overheating.
- Chrysler Town & Country (2001-2007): This van suffers from an array of mechanical issues, including failing transmissions, faulty wiring, valve cover gasket leaks, and sluggish power steering pumps.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee (1993-2004): The Grand Cherokee is notorious for its poor fuel economy and high repair costs. Its major issues are faulty brake systems, air conditioning problems, suspension problems, and engine failure.
- Ford F-150 (1997-2004): This pickup truck suffers from a variety of mechanical issues, including transmission failure, electrical system breakdowns, and faulty brakes.
- Nissan Altima (2002-2006): This sedan's biggest problem areas are the transmission and suspension system due to their tendency to fail early on due to wear and tear. Additionally, this model has experienced various electrical gremlins such as failing window switches.
- Dodge Neon (1995-2005): The Neon suffers from a plethora of mechanical issues, including transmission failure, faulty fuel pumps and ignition coils. This car is also known for its weak suspension components that can lead to costly repairs when the vehicle is driven over rough terrain.
- Volkswagen Jetta (1999-2005): The Jetta has a reputation for poor reliability and expensive repairs due to its multiple mechanical issues, such as transmission failure and faulty electrical systems. Additionally, this model is known for having a weak frame structure that can easily become damaged in an accident. Dover Delaware drivers should avoid these 10 worst used cars if they want to save money in the long run by avoiding costly repairs.
10 Best New Cars to Lease in Delaware
Dover is a great place to find great deals on new cars. Whether you're looking for a sedan, SUV, or truck, Delaware has something for everyone. Here are the top 10 best new cars to lease in Delaware:
- Honda Accord - The Honda Accord offers amazing value and reliability, making it an ideal choice for Dover Delaware drivers. It features excellent fuel economy, comfortable seating, and intuitive technology features that make driving enjoyable.
- Toyota Corolla - With its modern styling and impressive performance, the Toyota Corolla is one of the most popular vehicles among Delaware drivers looking for value and dependability. It boasts sporty handling and plenty of safety features too.
- Kia Optima - If you're looking for a luxurious sedan that won't break the bank, the Kia Optima is worth considering. It offers plenty of features at an affordable price and its sleek styling will turn heads everywhere you go.
- Chevrolet Tahoe - Dover Delaware drivers love the spacious interior and reliable performance of the Chevy Tahoe. Whether it's hauling cargo or carrying passengers in comfort, this popular SUV has everything you need.
- Ford F-150 - This full-size American pickup boasts excellent fuel economy and rugged capability, making it perfect for Delaware drivers who need to haul large items around town or tackle tough terrain off-road.
- Nissan Rogue - The Nissan Rogue is a great option for Dover Delaware drivers who want an efficient and stylish crossover SUV. It has plenty of cargo space and its intuitive tech features make it a great choice for families.
- Hyundai Elantra - The Hyundai Elantra offers Dover drivers a reliable, fuel-efficient car with plenty of features at an affordable price. Its sleek styling and modern technology make it one of the top choices in Delaware's new car market.
- Jeep Wrangler - If you're looking for an off-road beast that can take on any terrain, the Jeep Wrangler is second to none. Delaware drivers will love its robust powertrain and rugged styling, plus all the available options to customize your ride.
- Ford Escape - Dover Delaware drivers will love the versatility of the Ford Escape, which is a great choice for those who want an SUV with plenty of cargo space and safety features. It also offers excellent fuel economy and modern tech features.
- Subaru Outback - The Subaru Outback is a great option for Dover Delaware drivers who need a family-friendly car that can handle tough terrain. This all-wheel drive vehicle offers lots of room for passengers or cargo, plus plenty of advanced safety features to keep you safe on the road. Whether you're looking for something luxurious, sporty, off-road capable, or just reliable and affordable, Delaware has something to fit everyone's needs. These top 10 new cars to lease in Delaware are sure to please even the pickiest driver!
10 Highest Safety Rating Vehicles in Delaware
Dover drivers looking for the safest cars on the road should look no further than this list of 10 vehicles with the highest safety ratings in Delaware. From hatchbacks to SUVs and everything in between, these vehicles have been tested and proven to provide superior protection on Delaware roads.
- Volvo XC90: This SUV offers an impressive range of safety features, including City Safety system which can detect potential collisions and activate emergency braking if needed. The car also has a lane-keep assist feature that will help keep you in your lane and alert you when it detects drifting.
- Subaru Forester: One of the most popular compact SUVs on Delaware roads, the Forester also comes equipped with a suite of advanced driver-assistance systems, including adaptive cruise control and lane-keep assist. The car also offers great fuel efficiency and a roomy interior for passengers.
- Hyundai Elantra: Dover Delaware drivers looking for an affordable sedan should consider the Elantra, which comes with advanced safety features like automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, and rear cross-traffic alert system. It also has one of the best predicted reliability ratings in its class.
- Nissan Murano: This stylish SUV is one of the safest vehicles on Delaware roads thanks to its array of driver assistance features designed to help you drive safely and comfortably. It comes standard with blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision warning, and automatic emergency braking.
- Honda Accord: Dover drivers can enjoy peace of mind knowing that the Accord comes with an impressive roster of standard driver assistance features, including lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring. The car also gets good fuel economy and has a roomy interior for passengers.
- Toyota Prius: This popular hybrid vehicle offers great fuel efficiency and advanced safety features such as pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane-departure alert, auto high beams, and adaptive cruise control.
- Ford Escape: Dover drivers looking for a comfy SUV will appreciate the Escape's range of safety technologies, including lane keeping system and auto emergency braking with pedestrian detection. The car also offers great fuel economy and a spacious interior.
- Kia Soul: This popular hatchback comes with an impressive array of safety features, including blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, lane-departure warning and more. Its roomy interior makes it a great choice for Delaware families or those needing extra cargo space.
- Subaru Outback: One of the most reliable vehicles on Delaware roads, this SUV boasts advanced driver assistance features like adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking system and lane keeping assist to help keep you safe on Delaware roads. It also has a comfortable ride and plenty of cargo space for passengers.
- Mazda CX-5: Dover drivers looking for a sporty crossover should consider the Mazda CX-5, which comes with an array of standard driver assistance features such as blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert and lane departure warning. The car also has great fuel economy and is available in both front-wheel and all-wheel drive versions.
Whether you're looking for a sedan or SUV, Dover drivers can rest assured knowing that these 10 vehicles have some of the highest safety ratings in Delaware. Be sure to do your research before purchasing any vehicle to make sure it offers the specific safety features you need.
Top 5 Auto Rental Apps in Delaware
If you're looking for an easy and convenient way to rent a car in Dover, then you've come to the right place. There are many auto rental apps out there, but these five are some of the best options available in Delaware. Whether you need a short-term rental or a long-term lease, these apps offer competitive prices and reliable service that will make your Delaware trip stress-free.
- Zipcar: Zipcar is one of the most popular car rental services in Delaware, providing an extensive selection of vehicles ranging from luxury sedans to economy-sized cars. With their low rates and convenient locations all over Delaware, it's no wonder why this app has become so popular with travelers in the area.
- Enterprise CarShare: With Enterprise CarShare, Delaware travelers can reserve vehicles for as little as one hour and track their rental fees in real-time. This app also offers special benefits for Delaware residents, such as discounted rates on airport transfers and access to exclusive loyalty programs.
- Getaround: Getaround is ideal for Dover drivers who are looking to rent out their personal cars while they're away or out of town. The app allows Delaware drivers to list their vehicles with no signup fee and earn money while they're not using them. Plus, the app offers premium insurance coverage so that Dover drivers can rest assured that their car is safe during the rental period.
- Turo: Delaware travelers can take advantage of Turo's peer-to-peer car rental service, which allows them to rent cars from local Delaware owners at discounted rates. Plus, the app provides vehicle delivery and pickup services for added convenience.
- Car2Go: Dover Delaware drivers who are looking for a flexible car rental option should check out Car2Go. This app offers one-way rentals with no time limits, allowing Delaware drivers to pay only for their usage time instead of renting the vehicle by the day or week. Plus, Car2Go has convenient locations all around Delaware that make it easy to find your perfect ride.
Top 3 Road Trips in Delaware
Delaware is a small state, but it has plenty to offer for those looking for a road trip. Whether you're heading up north or down south, Delaware offers some of the best scenic drives in the country. From beaches to historic sites and everything in between, here are our top three Delaware road trips:
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area - A must-see on any Delaware road trip is the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This area covers 70,000 acres along the Delaware River and provides a variety of outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, boating, fishing, and more.
- Rehoboth Beach - One of Delaware's most popular destinations is Rehoboth Beach. Located in the Delaware coastal resort area, Rehoboth Beach is a great destination for swimming, sunbathing, and exploring the nearby boardwalk.
- Delaware State Parks - Delaware has several state parks that offer beautiful scenery, wildlife viewing opportunities, and plenty of recreational activities. The beaches at Cape Henlopen State Park are some of Delaware's best and provide excellent views of the Atlantic Ocean. Trap Pond State Park offers miles of trails with scenic views of wetlands and cypress swamps.
Is my Rental Car Covered by my Normal Insurance?
It depends on what type of insurance you have and where you're driving. Delaware law requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage, including bodily injury and property damage protection, in order to legally operate a rental car. If you already have car insurance, it may cover your rental vehicle in Delaware as long as you tell your insurer that you're renting the car. However, most policies do not provide coverage for collision or comprehensive damage to the rental. It is important to read your policy carefully before deciding whether or not to purchase additional insurance from the rental company. If you don't have any other car insurance but plan on renting a car in Delaware, then it would be wise to consider purchasing an auto policy specifically designed for rentals, as it will provide the necessary coverage. It is always best to be prepared and secure enough insurance against potential losses while driving a rental car in Dover.
Does my Credit Card Cover my Rental Car?
If you're planning a trip to Dover, the answer to that question is likely yes. Most credit card companies offer rental car insurance for their customers if they use the card to pay for the rental. Be sure to check with your credit card company specific policy before you rent. You may need to provide additional forms of identification or proof of insurance in Delaware in order to rent a vehicle. Some credit cards may also require that additional coverage be purchased or that you decline any coverage offered by the rental agency. Make sure you read over all of the paperwork carefully before signing anything when renting a car in Delaware. Depending on your state laws and regulations, you may not have enough coverage from your credit card alone and need other forms of auto insurance. Delaware requires all drivers and vehicles to have at least minimum liability coverage, so make sure you are aware of these requirements before driving in Delaware. Checking your credit card policy and understanding Delaware's auto insurance laws can help ensure that you are properly protected when renting a car in Delaware.
Insuring an Uber or Lyft in Dover is subject to Delaware State insurance requirements. Delaware requires that rideshare drivers carry at least $50,000 in bodily injury liability per person and $100,000 in bodily injury liability per incident. Drivers must also carry a minimum of $25,000 in property damage liability and have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage with a limit of at least $50,000/$100,000. Additionally, Delaware has enacted legislation requiring Uber and Lyft drivers to maintain personal automobile insurance coverage while operating as a rideshare driver. This coverage must include both comprehensive and collision coverages with limits no less than Delaware's statutory minimums for those coverages ($25,000/$50,000). The combination of the Delaware state requirements plus the additional personal automobile insurance coverage should provide Delaware rideshare drivers with the protection they need.
With Delaware's strict insurance requirements, Delaware Uber and Lyft drivers can rest assured that their vehicles are adequately insured to protect them in the event of an accident. Additionally, Delaware is one of many states that require a higher amount of liability coverage for Uber and Lyft drivers than what is typically required for traditional automobile insurance policies. This requirement ensures that Delaware rideshare drivers have ample coverage in the event of an accident involving a passenger or another vehicle. By following Delaware's specific ride-share insurance guidelines, Delaware rideshare drivers can feel secure knowing they are properly protected in the event of an incident on the road.
Top 10 Driving Infractions and Their Associated Insurance Increases in Delaware
Living in Delaware and owning a car means understanding the rules of the road and following them to the letter. Delaware is known for having some of the strictest laws when it comes to driving infractions, so it's important to stay informed on which types of violations can incur hefty fines as well as increases in your auto insurance premiums. Here are 10 common Delaware driving infractions and their associated insurance rate increases:
- Driving Under The Influence (DUI): A DUI conviction can result in a fine of up to $2,300, jail time, and an automatic two-year license suspension. Insurance companies generally consider this type of offense high risk, which usually leads to an increase in rates of up to 40%.
- Excessive Speeding: Delaware law requires drivers to adhere to the posted speed limit and any violation can result in a fine as well as up to six points on your license. Insurance companies view this infraction as risky, so they may impose an increase of 10-20% depending on how much you exceeded the speed limit.
- Distracted Driving: Texting, talking on the phone, eating, or applying makeup while driving are all considered distractions that can lead to higher premiums. Delaware has implemented a comprehensive ban on using handheld electronic devices while behind the wheel and violations could mean an increase in rates of 5-15%.
- Not Having Auto Insurance: Delaware is one of only a few states that require drivers to carry liability coverage. If you are caught driving without insurance, you will face a fine of up to $1,500 and your license can be suspended for six months. Insurance companies view this as an extreme risk and could penalize the driver with an increase of up to 75%.
- Driving Without a License: Delaware requires all drivers to have a valid driver's license in order to legally operate a vehicle on public roads. If you are found driving without one, you can incur fines of up to $575 and auto insurance providers may impose premium increases of 50% or more.
- Reckless Driving: Delaware law defines reckless driving as operating a vehicle "in any wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property." Penalties for this infraction include fines, jail time, and up to six points on your license. Insurance companies may increase rates by 15-25% due to the high risk associated with reckless driving.
- Racing: Delaware has laws against racing on public roadways and any violation can result in a hefty fine as well as an automatic one-year license suspension. Your insurance company will also consider this type of offense extremely risky, which could lead to an increase of 50% or more to your premiums.
- Hit & Run Accidents: Delaware law requires drivers involved in accidents, regardless of fault, to stop at the scene and exchange information with other parties involved. Failing to do so can lead to fines of up to $1,500 and your insurance provider is likely to increase rates by 25-50%.
- Driving Without Headlights: Delaware requires all vehicles to have working headlights or taillights at night in order to be legally operated on public roads. Failing to comply with this law can result in a fine as well as an increase in auto insurance premiums of 5-15%.
- Tailgating: Delaware considers tailgating - driving too closely behind another vehicle - a serious offense and those found guilty may face fines of up to $100. Insurance companies also take this type of behavior seriously and could raise rates by 10-20% due to increased risk.
Going with a National Company vs a Local Broker or Agent in Dover
Choosing between a national insurance company and a local Dover agent or broker for the best deal can be a nuanced decision, largely dependent on your individual needs and circumstances. National insurance companies have their advantages. They typically offer a wider variety of products and services, and may provide discounts for bundling different types of insurance such as auto, dwelling, and life. These companies usually have extensive customer service departments, often available 24/7, and their digital platforms for quotes, policy management, claims, and payments are usually quite comprehensive. However, the trade-off might be less personalized service. Since you're more likely to deal with different customer service representatives each time, building a relationship with your insurer could be more challenging. Additionally, national insurers may not fully comprehend the specific insurance needs and risks of your local area in Dover.
On the other hand, local Dover agents and brokers can offer more personalized service and the opportunity to build a longstanding relationship. They can guide you through the intricacies of insurance policies, assist with claims, and are generally more attuned to the particular risks and insurance needs of your locality. Brokers, representing multiple insurance companies, are in a position to shop around for the best deal for you. To get an idea of how much rates can vary by zip code you could compare ones such as 34997, 99403, 19901, 65560, 75501, 38343, 85233, 23860, 70601, and 20331. However, their range of products may not be as wide as national insurers, and their operating hours might not be as flexible. Also, customer service may not be available round the clock. In terms of digital accessibility, their platforms may not be as user-friendly or feature-rich as those of larger, national companies.
In conclusion, the better option is largely dependent on your preferences. If a personal relationship and local Dover expertise is valued, a local agent or broker could be your best bet. Conversely, if you prefer the convenience of digital tools, round-the-clock customer service, and a broader range of products, then a national insurance company might be the right choice. It's always prudent to compare quotes from different sources before making a decision.